Cardero Therapeutics (CT) is a specialty pharmaceutical company that has identified and established a novel, IP protected, mechanism of action based platform of small molcules derived from natural molecular scaffolds. CT is focused on advancing these small molecules that stimulate mitochondria biogenesis as first in class and first to market, therapeutics.
Basic, pre-clinical and clinical research has led to:
- Near term drug development is focused on orphan muscular, neuromuscular diseases and associated co-morbidities, such as Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophy and Friedreich’s Ataxia.
- Longer term development plans target large market indications including sarcopenia and diabetic myopathy amongst others.
- Identification of a novel hormone and pathway
- Identification of the natural compound ‘(+)-epicatechin’ a rare flavonoid, that mimics the novel human hormone
- Mitochondria depletion/dysfunction is a consequence or cause of many disease states
- Only established synthetic path for manufacture of the natural compound
- Established novel biomarker of surrogate efficacy
- Efficacy, of Epicatechin demonstrated in models of muscular dystrophy models
- Established/known safety in humans
- Proof of concept in patients with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy showing significant efficacy after only eight weeks of treatment